↑ Real World Maths
Here are some practical ideas/questions to get involved with at home.
- Use £ and p and convert between the two.
- How much does it cost?
- Do I have enough money?
- How much change would I get?
- How long would it take to save up for it?
- Pay for the shopping.
- Add up the price of your cinema tickets.
- Save up for a new book or game.
- Measuring Length
- Use a ruler, including m/cm/mm.
- How long is it?
- What is the difference between the two objects?
- What would the length be if I had more than one object?
- Make a cardboard construction.
- Keep a record of your height.
- Work out how many books could fit on your shelf?
- Measuring Mass and Capacity
- Use scales to measure mass (weight) and a measuring jug for capacity.
- How much does it weigh?
- How much does this container hold?
- If the number is not shown, where is it on the scale?
- How much would I need if I have to make it for more or less people?
- Bake a cake.
- Make a cocktail with a mix of soft drinks.
- Weigh your packed bag before travelling.
- Tell the time
- Use an analogue clock, not just digital. Convert between the two.
- Recognise o’clock, half past, quarter past, quarter to and 5 minute intervals.
- What is the time?
- How long did it take?
- How much quicker was it?
- Think about timings for dinner.
- Time the journey in the car.
- Have a race.
- Know the days
- Know the days of the week, months of the year and number of days in each.
- How many days are in a year/leap year?
- What day is it today?
- How many days is it until Saturday?
- What month are we in?
- How many days until next month?
- Have a calendar on the wall. Tick off the days.
- Write a diary.
- Look through the events magazine or television guide.
↑ Useful Links
Apps 4 Primary School – selection of maths apps for tablet devices
Maths Zone – play interactive games/tools linked to domains (many require flash)
Top Marks – good range of interactive maths games
Daily 10 – times tables and other quick fire questions
BBC Bitesize KS2 Maths – watch videos linked to maths domains
Woodlands Maths – find activities linked to domains
Snappy Maths – choose worksheets and activities linked to maths domains
Maths Drills – select worksheets for practising maths skills
Maths Worksheets – generate customised worksheets for practising maths skills
↑ Premium Resources
Maths Tutor – (highly recommended) provided by school – see dedicated page
Mathletics – (recommended) comprehensive and customisable online maths platform with activities and challenges linked to the National Curriculum (multi-platform, £39 p/a)
IXL – comprehensive maths resource for practising maths, linked to National Curriculum (multi-platform, £59 p/a)
Sumdog – maths activities and challenges linked to National Curriculum (multi-platform, free version or premium for £4 p/m)
↑ Back to top