We have a well-established programme to support transition to ensure children are well prepared and confident for their next phase of their learning journey.
April / May 2020 – Please note due to the current pandemic it is likely transition will look slightly different this year. We will do our best to make this as smooth as possible. Please look at the ‘daily snippets’ for updates, as we receive information from the government and Hampshire.
Please see the letter below from Miss Russell and Miss Millington.
Year 2 to Year 3 transition
- Open day in Autumn term of Year 2 for parents and children
- Deadline for KS2 applications in January
- Confirmation of school place announced in April
- Year 2 parents evening in June – an opportunity to meet some of the CHJS team and Year 3 teaching staff
- Transition lunch and lunchtime for children in June – a chance for children to eat in the hall, find the toilets and play on the playground/field
- Children will be allocated a buddy to support them during transition and provide a familiar face on the playground in September
- Transition afternoons for children in June/July – an opportunity to explore the school site with their buddies
- ‘Bump up morning’ where children meet their teacher and complete some activities in late June/July
- Transition social story for children, given to them in June – an opportunity to explore routines and familiarise themselves with staff and the school
- CHJS prospectus for parents given in June
- We ask all parents to fill out forms (in prospectus documentation) prior to starting in September so we have up to date information prior to arrival
- ‘Junior ready’ documents are available to support parents over the summer holidays
- Parents are encouraged to join our Facebook group and look at the website to familiarise themselves with our school
- KS1/KS2 Teacher liaison – June and July
Year 6 transition
- Open sessions and parents evenings in September and October – parents to look out for dates for Secondary Schools of interest
- Deadline for Secondary applications in October
- Confirmation of school place announced in March
- Transition paperwork completed by CHJS in April/May – requested and varies between Secondary Schools
- Year 6 staff and SMT meet with Secondary teams as requested in May/June- discussions about all children
- Transition days in June/July – an opportunity for children to visit their new setting – organised and communicated to parents by the Secondary Schools
- Transition parent meetings in June/July – an opportunity for parents to familiarise themselves with the school staff, policies and procedures- organised and communicated to parents by the Secondary school
- Crofton School ‘No worries’ sessions for identified children in June/July – additional familiarisation sessions (Crofton pupils only)
- SENCO liaison for children with an EHCP or identified as SEN support
- Transition Agreements and meetings for identified children requiring additional support
Transition through the year groups at CHJS
- ‘Bump up morning’ in June – children meet their new teacher
- Children given a ‘meet the teacher’ sheet – reminder photos and information for all children about the next academic year
- Summer holidays familiarity visit – for identified children
- ‘Bump up’ meetings between CHJS teachers discussing individual children needs
- Being a small school we are fortunate to hold termly ‘progress meetings’ as a teaching staff. This ensures that all teaching staff are familiar and have an understanding of individual needs and progress of all children.
- If you have any concerns about transition, whether general or specific to your child, please speak to your child’s class teacher, Miss Millington or Miss Russell.
Transition in year
- To support ‘in year’ starters each class has a ‘new arrival ambassador’ to help children settle in
- We recommend a visit once a place has been offered for parents and children to meet staff, discuss routines and become familiar with the site
Below are the ‘junior ready’ documents, Year 3 transition book (social story) and school information leaflet.